Thursday 17 July 2014

New beginnings

I have been quite busy since my last post, which was over a month ago, I know that's bad, but I was being creative.

I really needed a change of direction, as I was getting bored with what I was doing, I think because it was almost a follow on from my final collection it felt like I had been working on it a very long time.

I decided to just choose a topic that would take my creativity in a new direction, so I have been looking at Art Deco.

Art Deco used a combination of line and curve, it took inspiration from everywhere drawing on both tradition and the modern machine age to create images that moved away from modernism's graphic styles to something that gave pleasure and escape.  Art Deco was the period of the 1920's boom to the Depression of the 30's, during Hollywood's glamour years following the end of WW1.

It followed on from Art Nouveau with the influence of nature and natural form, but also including graphic, geometric and angular styles, such as those seen in cubist paintings.


This is where I have started from, I was very much drawn to the bold colours, which was a complete move away from what I had previously been doing.

And I have a new warp:


I started experimenting with striping across to find what combinations worked well.  I have been developing my own lifting plans on Fibreworks.


I loved the way these colours worked together, I am trying to create more curved patterns across the weave to bring together the curves and straight lines, I am really pleased with how it is going so far.




I don't know what it is but it makes me feel really happy working with bright colours, it might be that along with the sunshine, which seems to be wanting to stay around for a while as well.  Ahh isn't summer lovely!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment