Sunday 9 March 2014

Preparing my warp

I am so excited, I have just got a warp onto my loom.

I decided to have a go at warp painting, I wanted to create a soft look to the weave and I like the way the painted warp gives the variations in colours across the cloth, rather than the striping created by using single colour threads. 

The inspiration has been my floral pinhole photos, which create blurred images of colour.  The images convey memories, when we reflect on images in our mind, they are not always clear and things may be missed.  The images have a romantic feel to them.

 
 
I took inspiration from this photograph to match colours and to inspire the dyes I used.  The warp is an organic cotton warp, and I dyed it using procion dyes.

 
I didn't leave the dye on too long as I didn't want the colours to be too bold.  The colours have a fresh summery feel to them.

 

I'm really pleased with the way it is weaving up, this is a distorted twill pattern, using a pale green.  I wanted to try a few different structures and colours, but as I am pleased with this I am going to keep going for a while before moving onto another colour and structure.  I'm hoping to create purses and other small pieces from this warp.

No comments:

Post a Comment